ERIE, Pa. – Senior Scott Sada (Saegertown, PA/Saegertown) became the NCAA Division III all-time leader in career doubles with 82, getting a two-bagger in each game against Medaille in Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference (AMCC) action on Wednesday.
* Sada smacked a pair of doubles in game two, with the second double going down left-field line to break the NCAA Division III record that was set back in 2016 (Sam Dexter of Southern Maine) at 81. He now has 82 career doubles.
Game Two (Nine Innings)
Scores: Penn State Behrend 8, Medaille 3
Records: Penn State Behrend (15-8, 4-2 AMCC), Medaille (6-12, 2-8 AMCC)
* The Lions used three straight hits in the bottom of the first inning, including Sada's first double for a 2-0 lead
* In the second, Zack Bowen (Plum Borough, PA/Serra Catholic) walked and stole second before scoring on a Justin Foreman (Oakdale, PA/South Fayette) single for a 3-0 advantage
* With two outs showing in the fifth, Sada got his career-setting double to send home John Brittner (Zelienople, PA/Seneca Valley) from first. Sada also advanced on a passed ball and scored on an error for a 5-1 lead
* Behrend added three more runs in the sixth to split the AMCC doubleheader
* Foreman and Ian Taylor (Wexford, PA/Vincentian Academy) joined Sada with a pair of hits
* Taylor smacked a stand-up double in the sixth, while Foreman drove in three runs in the win
* Thomas Zbezinski (Gibsonia, PA/Pine Richland) went the distance, allowing eight hits and two earned runs while striking out three for his fourth win on the mound
Game One (Seven Innings)
Scores: Medaille 8, Penn State Behrend 1
Records: Penn State Behrend (14-8, 3-2 AMCC), Medaille (6-11, 2-7 AMCC)
* The Mavericks snapped a five-game losing skid in conference play with eight runs on 13 hits
* Hurler Peter Grunzweig held the Lions to five hits and did not give up an earned run for the win
* Medaille took advantage of four Behrend errors, including two in the fourth that extended the Mavericks lead to 5-1
* The Lions got their only run in the bottom of the third inning on Sada's single down left-field line to score Foreman, who got walked and then advanced on a ground out and passed ball
* Taylor finished 3-for-4 with two doubles, while starter Eric Mikulan (Pittsburgh, PA/Hampton) suffered the loss
* The Behrend Lions return to action on Saturday at Alfred State for an AMCC doubleheader, beginning at 1 p.m.