PITTSURGH, Pa. – The No. 2 Penn State Behrend baseball team posted a convincing 9-1 victory over No. 3 Penn State Altoona on the first day of the Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference (AMCC) Championships on Friday afternoon held at La Roche University.
Game One (Nine Innings)
Scores: No. 2 Penn State Behrend 9, No. 3 Penn State Altoona 1
Records: No. 2 Penn State Behrend (24-14), No. 3 Penn State Altoona (26-15)
* The Lions never trailed in their first game of the AMCC Championships
* Senior hurler Phil Myers (DuBois, PA/Dubois Central Catholic) threw his fourth complete game, allowing just one run on five hits
* Myers fanned six batters, including two in the seventh and one in the eighth to seal the victory
* Myers threw 74 strikes in 112 pitches, improving to 7-0 on the season
* Senior Ian Taylor (Wexford, PA/Vincentian Academy) went 3-for-5 with three RBI in the leadoff spot
* Senior Scott Sada (Saegertown, PA/Saegertown) and freshman Josh Wagner (South Park, PA/South Park) went 2-for-4 on the day
* After three scoreless innings, Wagner drove in Sada off first in the bottom of the fourth inning to get on the scoreboard
* Senior Mason McGuire (Pittsburgh, PA/Upper St. Clair) made it 2-0 after reaching on a fielder's choice and reaching home on a sacrifice fly by senior Justin Foreman (Oakdale, PA/South Fayette)
* The Lions had a big five-run sixth inning and added another two runs in the seventh for the final 9-1 margin
* Head coach Paul Benim has reached 1,000 career games with the baseball program at Behrend.
* Sada is six hits away from breaking the career hits record in program history. He sits at 259 and could surpass Josh Fyffe at 264
* The Behrend Lions continue their quest for an AMCC Championship tomorrow against No. 1 La Roche at 1 p.m.