MEADVILLE, Pa. – The Penn State Behrend men's basketball team edged Allegheny 80-77 in non-conference action on Saturday afternoon.
Dan Wanker (Pittsburgh, PA/South Park) hit a pair of free throws with time expiring in the game to give the Lions a three-point victory.
Score: Penn State Behrend 80, Allegheny 77
Records: Penn State Behrend (3-0), Allegheny (3-1)
* The Lions had a second-half surge to remain undefeated on the season and hand the Gators their first loss
* Mike Fischer (Wexford, PA/North Allegheny) shot 80 percent from the floor, going 8-for-10 for a team-best 20 points and eight rebounds
* Fischer was one of five PSB players to reach double figures
* Allegheny shot 66.7 percent in the first 15 minutes to take 32-27 lead, but ended the game shooting 47.7 percent
* It was a battle behind the arc with the teams combining for 21 triples (Behrend 11, Allegheny 10)
* The Lions had an eight-point lead at 74-66 with 3:23 left to play and Allegheny cut that lead to one on two occasions down the stretch
* Andy Niland (Fairview, PA/Fairview) finished with 16 points to put him 10 points shy of reaching 1,000 for his career
* The Lions will open Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference (AMCC) action on Wednesday night when they travel to La Roche. Game time is 8 p.m.