ERIE, Pa. – Senior forward Justin Gorny (South Park, PA/South Park) reached 1,000 career points and ended with a team-best 18 points to lead the Penn State Behrend men's basketball team past Penn State Altoona 84-76 in Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference (AMCC) action on Saturday night.
Score: Penn State Behrend 84, Penn State Altoona 76
Records: Penn State Behrend (6-1, 3-1 AMCC), Pitt Bradford (2-7, 1-3 AMCC)
* Gorny reached 1,000 career points with a three-pointer at the 17:10 mark of the game
* Both teams shot over 50 percent from the floor and combined for 17 three-pointers
* The Lions held a 44-36 edge after the first half, making the difference after the teams tied 40-all in the second
* Altoona grabbed the lead on two occasions in the second half, but turnovers down the stretch turned into five straight points for an 80-71 Behrend lead that did not relinquish
* Gorny was one of five players in double-digit scoring
* Dan Wanker (Pittsburgh, PA/South Park) added 15 points, while Andy Niland (Fairview, PA/Fairview) went a perfect 7-for-7 from the free-throw line for 12 points and seven assists
* As a team, the Behrend Lions went 16-for-18 from the charity stripe (88.9 percent)
* Behrend held its largest lead at 12 points (48-36) at the 18:43 mark of the second half
* The Behrend Lions return to action on Sunday, December 16 against Mt. Aloysius in the Junker Center. Game time is 4 p.m.