ERIE, Pa. - The Penn State Behrend men's soccer team used a second half rally to push past Houghton College 2-1 in the opening match of the 2018 Herb Lauffer Memorial Tournament.
Score: Penn State Behrend 2, Houghton 1
Records: Penn State Behrend (1-0), Houghton (0-1)
* Brice Bogna netted his first career goal in the 39th minute to give the Highlanders a 1-0 lead heading into halftime.
* Sophomore Christian Eckberg (Pittsburgh, PA/Norwin) netted his first goal of 2018 for Penn State Behrend. Eckberg's goal less than a minute into the second half knotted the score at 1-1.
* Freshman Jason Angelo (Harborcreek, PA/Harbor Creek) scored the game-winning goal for Penn State Behrend in the 72nd minute after Richard Blanchard (Erie, PA/Cathedral Prep) was able to slip a pass through traffic in the box.
* Penn State Behrend defended a flurry of Houghton corner kicks to end the game and the Highlanders' final header of the contest, which was headed into the back of the net, was reviewed by officials on the field and it was deemed that the header did not get off in time before the final horn had sounded.
* Penn State Behrend will return to action tomorrow, Saturday September 1, against SUNY Geneseo. Geneseo fell to Baldwin Wallace 3-2 on Friday night. Kickoff from the Penn State Behrend Soccer Stadium is slated for 7:30 p.m.
* Houghton will take on Baldwin Wallace tomorrow at 5 p.m. BW topped Geneseo by a final score of 3-2 on Friday night.