PITTSBURGH, Pa. - The Penn State Behrend men's soccer team cruised to a 5-1 win over La Roche College on Saturday afternoon in the team's Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference opener.
Score: Penn State Behrend 5, La Roche 1
Records: Penn State Behrend (5-2-1, 1-0 AMCC), La Roche College (2-6-0, 0-1 AMCC)
* Penn State Behrend jumped out to an early 1-0 lead after senior Ryan Maurer (Cranberry Twp, PA/Seneca Valley) scored in the 12th minute.
* The Behrend Lions increased their lead to 2-0 midway through the first half. Sophomore Richard Blanchard (Erie, PA/Cathedral Prep) scored his first goal of 2018 in the 21st minute. Christian Eckberg (Pittsburgh, PA/Norwin) and Aaron Harris (Washington, PA/McGuffey) were credited with assists on Blanchard's goal.
* Ryan Maurer struck for goal for a second time in the game in the 49th minute. Maurer stepped up and converted his second penalty kick opportunity. Maurer is now 2-2 on penalty kicks this season.
* Freshman Logan Brinsky (Pittsburgh, PA/Peters Township) scored his first two career goals late in the second half. His first goal of the game came in the 74th minute, while his second goal came in the 88th minute.
* La Roche scored on goal in the contest. Firas Abduljawad scored his team-leading third goal of 2018 in the 56th minute.
* On the day, the Behrend Lions outshot the Redhawks 20-6.
* Penn State Behrend will gear up for a critical Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference matchup with Medaille College on Tuesday, September 25. Kickoff from the Penn State Behrend Soccer Stadium is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. following the conclusion of the women's game.