UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS, Ohio – Penn State Behrend battled past Lycoming in the First Round of the NCAA Tournament, defeating the Warriors 1-0 on Saturday night at John Carroll in suburban Cleveland, Ohio.
PSB started fast and never looked back against LC, earning the program's third ever win in the NCAA Tournament. Behrend will advance to the Second Round for the first time since 2011. The Behrend Lions will take on host John Carroll tomorrow at 7 p.m. John Carroll topped Penn State Abington in first round action earlier today 4-0.
Score: Penn State Behrend 1, Lycoming 0
Records: Penn State Behrend (15-3-2), Lycoming (15-4-2)
* Freshman Logan Brinsky (Pittsburgh, PA/Peters Township) scored just four minutes into the contest, giving PSB an early 1-0 lead. It was Brinsky's ninth goal of the season.
* Sophomore Richard Blanchard (Erie, PA/Cathedral Prep) was credited with an assist on Brinsky's goal.
* The Behrend Lions controlled much of the pace in the first half, outshooting Lycoming 10-2.
* Penn State Behrend's defense held up in the second half, preventing the Warriors from equalizing.
* AMCC Defensive Player of the Year Chris Ralph (Murrysville, PA/Franklin Regional) made three saves in goal.
* On the day, Behrend outshot the Warriors 13-10.
* Penn State Behrend has now won nine straight games heading into tomorrrow's second round matchup with the Blue Streaks.
* Saturday's win over Lycoming evened the all-time series 1-1. The two teams last met in 1998.
* Penn State Behrend and John Carroll will meet for the second time this season. The Behrend Lions shutout the Blue Streaks 2-0 back on September 7 in Erie.
* Nick Schwarzel (South Park, PA/South Park) and Christian Eckberg (Pittsburgh, PA/Norwin) each scored a goal power PSB past JCU in the first meeting this season.