FREDONIA, NY – The Penn State Behrend men's swimming and diving is in first place after day one of the Fredonia Blue Devil Invitational on Thursday.
Score: Behrend 1st out of five teams (338 points), Fredonia (2nd – 204), Allegheny (3rd – 192), Brockport (4th – 134), Alfred State (5th – 123)
* Chase Bietz (Clearfield, PA/Clearfield) and Mark Patterson (North Huntingdon, PA/Norwin) each tallied an individual win and two relay victories on the day
* Bietz broke the school record in the 200 IM, touching in 1:53.87 for first place
* Patterson, Bietz, Matt Karenbauer (Butler, PA/Knoch) and Alex Croll (Honolulu, HI/Parkland) picked up the first win earlier in the day in the 400 medley relay with a time of 3:31.11
* Behrend had seven swimmers in the 500 freestyle finals led by first-place finisher Patterson with a time of 4:38.77
* The Lions had four Top 10 finishers in the 50 free paced by second-place finisher Quinn Fischer (Fairview, PA/Cathedral Prep) with a time of 21.60
* The second relay of the night, the 800 free, was won by Patterson, Bietz, Jacob Schmidt (Erie, PA/Cathedral Prep) and Fischer in a time of 7:03.23 to finish day one
* The Lions return to action on tomorrow for day two of the Blue Devil Invite. The preliminaries begin at 11 a.m. and the finals at 7 p.m.