ALTOONA, Pa. – The Penn State Behrend men's volleyball split a pair of Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference (AMCC) matches on Saturday afternoon. The Lions edges Altoona 3-2 before falling to Wittenberg, 3-0.
Match One: Penn State Behrend 3, Penn State Altoona 2 (23-25, 25-17, 25-19, 22-25, 15-9)
Records: Penn State Behrend (7-4, 3-0 AMCC), Penn State Altoona (7-5, 1-2 AMCC)
* Junior Josh Mathews (Rochester, NY/Churchville-Chili) closed out the fifth set for the Lions with three consecutive aces at 15-9. Mathews finished with a match-high five aces and nine digs
* Behrend dropped the first set and battled back to win the second (25-17) and the third (25-19)
* The Lions led by as much as eight in the second and then erased a three-point deficit in the third to take a 2-0 lead
* Behrend hit a match-high .406 in the second (16 kills on 22 attempts)
* Junior Dillon Hildebrand (Red Lion, PA/Red Lion) had a season-high 22 kills to go with five digs and two aces
* Sophomore JP Goodsel (Corry, PA/Corry) had double-digit kills with 11
* Senior Anthony Sprentz (Cranberry Township, PA/Seneca Valley) dished out 49 assists on 55 kills
* Senior Robert McMaster (North Huntingdon, PA/Norwin) led defensively with 12 digs
Match Two: Wittenberg 3, Penn State Behrend 0
* Hildebrand led with 12 kills, while three others tallied seven each including Cody Schnur (Butler, PA/Butler), Tyler Herrmann (Cranberry Township, PA/Seneca Valley),and Goodsel
* More information will be provided when it becomes available
* The Lions return to action on Tuesday at home against Thiel. Match begins at 7 p.m.