PITTSBURGH, Pa. – The La Roche women's basketball team went 23-for-31 from the free-throw line to defeat Penn State Behrend 71-54 in the Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference (AMCC) opener for both teams on Wednesday night.
Score: La Roche 71, Penn State Behrend 54
Records: La Roche (2-4, 1-0 AMCC), Penn State Behrend (1-4, 0-1 AMCC)
* The Lions held a 20-18 lead after the first quarter
* The Redhawks opened the second quarter on a 6-0 run but Behrend tied it back at 28-all
* Kara Haslett (Baden, PA/Ambridge) had an unconventional three-point play with 1:47 left before halftime to give the Lions a 31-30 lead
* La Roche's Nia Thomas hit an ensuing three-pointer to put the hosts up for good
* The Redhawks had two players with 20 or more points led by Jenna Cole's 25 points, thanks to 11-for-11 shooting from the charity stripe
* Freshman guard Caitlin Carnuche (New Castle, PA/Mohawk) led Behrend with a season-best 18 points and five assists
* Haslett added 11 points, while Ashley Seamon (West Allegheny, PA/West Allegheny) tied a season-best eight points
* The Lions return to action on Saturday in the Junker Center against Pitt-Bradford. Game time is 2 p.m.