ERIE, Pa. – The Penn State Behrend women's basketball team upset the No. 1 La Roche Redhawks in the semifinal round of the Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference (AMCC) playoffs on Saturday.
Score: Penn State Behrend 57, La Roche 56
Records: Penn State Behrend (12-15, 8-10 AMCC), La Roche (16-9, 15-3 AMCC)
* No. 5 seed Behrend upset No. 1 La Roche to advance to the AMCC Championship tomorrow at 12 p.m. against the winner of Hilbert (2) vs. Pitt-Bradford (3)
* The Lions came out strong, scoring 20 points in the first quarter and holding the Redhawks to only 13
* Behrend held La Roche scoreless for four minutes in the end of the first and beginning of the second quarter, outscoring the Redhawks, 11-0
* La Roche then went on an 11-0 run to cut the Lion's lead to only four points
* Dasja Anderson had a layup to tie the game mid-way through the third quarter then another to take the lead
* The Redhawks then took their largest lead of three points making the score 38-35 before Behrend recovered and took the lead for the remainder of the game
* The Lions went 6-for-8 from the free-throw line down the stretch to secure the game
* Behrend was led by freshman forward Alanna Dibble (Lakewood, NY/Southwestern) who had her second double-double this week and eighth of the season registering 19 points and 11 rebounds
* Ashley Seamon (West Allegheny, PA/West Allegheny) chipped in 12 points and Brianne Davis (Bemus Point, NY/Maple Grove) had eight off the bench
* La Roche was led by Jenna Cole and Anderson who both finished with 18
* The Behrend Lions will return on Sunday for the AMCC Championship to take on the winner of Hilbert vs. Pitt-Bradford at 12 p.m. The Lions were last in the AMCC Championship game during the 2012-13 season where they fell to La Roche. Behrend is looking to win their third AMCC Championship and their first since the 2003-04 season.