MORRISVILLE, NY – The Penn State Behrend women's volleyball team opened the 2018 season with a pair of shut-out victories at the Morrisville State Tournament on Saturday afternoon.
Final Score: Behrend 3, SUNY Poly 0 (25-15, 25-15, 25-23)
Records: Penn State Behrend (1-0 ), SUNY Poly (1-2 ),
* Amanda Henry (Bridgeville, PA/South Fayette) led the team with seven kills, 11 digs and three aces
* Setter Lexi Irwin (Greensburg, PA/Hempfield) dished out 17 assists and added five kills
* Madison Clapper (Hollidaysburg, PA/Hollidaysburg) also had double-digit digs with 10
* As a team, the Lions had 13 blocks and 11 service aces.
Final Score: Behrend 3, Buffalo State 0 (25-14, 25-19, 25-16)
Records: Penn State Behrend (2-0), Buffalo State (0-4)
* Behrend recorded double-digit kills in each set (13, 12, 18), while hitting a match-best .393 in the first set
* Lexi Irwin was two digs away from a triple-double. She tallied a match-high 13 kills and 22 assists while recording eight digs.
* Keely Hering (North East, PA/North East) contributed seven kills, six digs, four assists and three aces in the win.
* The Lions used a 9-2 run late in the first set to break open a 14-12 set to win 25-14
* In the second set, Behrend had its largest lead at 17-10 and ended up winning by six points
* Irwin tallied five of her 13 kills in the third set to help the Lions sweep Buffalo State
* Behrend will take on Oswego and Morrisville State on the second day of the Morrisville State Tournament tomorrow at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m., respectively.