FORT PIERCE, FL. – The Penn State Behrend baseball team fell to Houghton 7-2 on the third day of spring-break action in Fort Pierce, Florida on Tuesday.
Score: Houghton 7, Penn State Behrend 2
Records: Houghton (1-4), Penn State Behrend (1-2)
* The Highlanders picked up their first win of the season, scoring seven runs on nine hits
* The Lions matched Houghton with nine hits but only plated two runs over the nine innings
* Ben Closson had two triples and three RBIs for the Highlanders
* Griffin Tubbs pitched for the win, giving up seven hits and a run while striking out five in the start
* Hurler Eric Mikulan (Pittsburgh, PA/Hampton) suffered the loss, pitching 3.2 innings and giving up four earned runs
* Relief pitcher Brennan Keillor (Pittsburgh, PA/Shaler) struck out seven in 4.1 innings of work
* Freshman Zack Bowen (Plum Borough, PA/Serra Catholic) tallied his first collegiate triple and Scott Sada (Saegertown, PA/Saegertown)picked up his third double of the season
* Behrend tallied its runs in the first and eighth inning. Justin Foreman (Oakdale, PA/South Fayette) knocked in Ian Taylor (Wexford, PA/Vincentian Academy) for a quick 1-0 lead
* Bowen scored Holden Stevanus (Erie, PA/Cathedral Prep) in the eighth with his triple with two outs
* The Behrend Lions return to action tomorrow at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. against Monmouth (Ill.).