FREDONIA, NY – The Penn State Behrend baseball team keeps the I-90 Cup with their third straight win over Fredonia this season, posting a 7-5 victory in a single nine-inning game on Wednesday.
Scores: Penn State Behrend 7, Fredonia 5
Records: Penn State Behrend (11-6), Fredonia (9-10)
* For the second straight game, senior shortstop Scott Sada (Saegertown, PA/Saegertown) hit a home run
* Sada finished 3-for-5 with two runs and three RBIs, putting him seven away from 150 career RBIs
* Behrend never trailed, taking a 2-1 lead after the second inning
* In the first, Sada made it to third with an error and a stolen base before scoring on an error for a 1-0 lead
* Mason McGuire (Pittsburgh, PA/Upper St. Clair) and Zack Bowen (Plum Borough, PA/Serra Catholic) added a pair of runs in the second on a passed ball and a sacrifice fly
* Sada tallied his two-run homer in the fifth to send home Jacob Deitz (Erie, PA/McDowell) for a 5-2 advantage
* The Lions stretched the lead to 7-2 after the ninth, but the Blue Devils attempted a late comeback with three runs in the ninth for the final margin
* Erik Mikulan (Pittsburgh, PA/Hampton) got the start and the win for Behrend, pitching seven innings and striking out eight
* Brady Kress (Harmony, PA/Seneca Valley) earned the save with two innings of work
* Sada has 79 career doubles and is three away from breaking the NCAA Division III career record for doubles. Sam Dexter (2013-16) of Southern Maine holds the record of 81 in 194 games played
* The Behrend Lions return to action on Friday for the Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference (AMCC) Game of the Week against La Roche. The doubleheader begins at 1 p.m.