ERIE, Pa. - Both the Penn State Behrend and SUNY Geneseo mens' soccer teams played hardnosed defense for 110 minutes of action on Saturday night in the final game of the Herb Lauffer Memorial Tournament. The hard-fought battle on Saturday night resulted in a scoreless draw.
Score: Penn State Behrend 0, SUNY Geneseo 0 - 2OT
Records: Penn State Behrend (1-0-1), SUNY Geneseo (0-1-1)
* Both teams combined for just five shots through the first 45 minutes of action.
* Scoring opportunities remained limited in the second half as both teams again combined for just five shots.
* In the 79th minute Penn State Behrend nearly struck for goal. Nick Schwarzel (South Park, PA/South Park) fired a shot from the left side that was knocked down by Geneseo goalie Dillon Medd. The ensuing rebound came to Jason Angelo (Harborcreek, PA/Harbor Creek); his shot from point-blank range was secured by a diving Medd for a critical save.
* Senior goalkeeper Chris Ralph (Murrysville, PA/Franklin Regional) had a diving save in the 107th minute that helped preserved a draw for Behrend. Ralph had four saves on the evening.
* Penn State Behrend will be back in action on Friday September 7. The Behrend Lions will host John Carroll. Kickoff against the Blue Streaks at the PSB Soccer Stadium is scheduled for 7 pm.