GAMBIER, Ohio – The Penn State Behrend men's swimming and diving team won the 2019 Oberlin Invitational with a final score of 1287.5 points after competing in 42 events over three days, claiming the title on Sunday evening.
* The Behrend Lions held a 177.5 lead over second-place Ashland
* Chase Bietz (Clearfield, PA/Clearfield) had the best finish on the night, taking second in the 200 breaststroke in 2:06.27, the second best time in program history. Jacob Eshelman (Franklin, PA/Franklin) came in fifth with a time of 2:13.04
* In the 100 backstroke, Liam Watterson (Brentwood, PA/Baldwin) led the team with a third-place finish with a time of 54.22 and Dombrosky was eighth (57.87)
* Matt Karenbauer (Butler, PA/Knoch) finished fourth in the 100 butterfly with a time of 52.57
* The Lions had four swimmers in the 200 freestyle finals. Quinn Fischer (Fairview, PA/Cathedral Prep) led Behrend with a third-place finish in 1:44.70 and Jacob Schmidt (Erie, PA/Cathedral Prep) followed in fourth (1:45.96). David Ewing (South Fayette, PA/South Fayette) was in seventh (1:50.13) and Cole Dombrosky (Mount Pleasant, PA/Mount Pleasant) came in eighth (1:51.44)
* Behrend registered its final 64 points of the meet in the final relay
* Bietz, Alex Croll (Honolulu, HI/Parkland), Fischer and Schmidt tallied a time of 3:08.94 to win the 400 free relay and secure the invitational title
* The Lions return to action on Saturday, December 7 at Penn State Altoona in AMCC action. The meet begins at 1 p.m.