ERIE, Pa. – The Penn State Behrend softball team fell to No. 4 Franciscan on Friday in the second round of the Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference (AMCC) tournament. The Lions will play tomorrow at 11 a.m. against No. 6 Penn State Altoona to continue in the AMCC playoffs.
Franciscan 7, Penn State Behrend 5
* Behrend had a first round bye in the AMCC tournament, pitting them against No. 4 Franciscan who beat No. 5 D'Youville earlier in the day, 2-1
* The Lions fell to Franciscan 7-5 for the first time in program history
* The Lions made a comeback in the seventh inning, scoring three runs but were unable to destroy the defecit
* AJ Nichols (Pittsburgh, PA/Shaler) had an RBI single bringing in Hauser
* Derzak followed by hitting a double to the right field fence sending Nichols and Gozzard home to cut the lead to 7-5
* Behrend fell behind 3-0 to begin the game
* The Lions made a small comeback, scoring two in the bottom of the third to push the Barons lead to one
* Katie Gozzard (Pittsburgh, PA/Deer Lakes) bunted in Carson Hauser (Westlake, NY/Westlake Academy) before Alayna Derzak (Seven Fields, PA/Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic) drove in Gozzard
* Behrend let up two runs in both the fifth and sixth innings to give Franciscan a 7-2 lead
* No. 1 Penn State Behrend will take on No. 6 Penn State Altoona at 11 a.m. tomorrow in the losers bracket of the AMCC Tournament. The Lions will need to win five straight games to win the AMCC Championship on Sunday.