UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS, Ohio – The Penn State Behrend men's soccer team went toe-to-toe with host John Carroll University on Sunday night. Senior Dakota Lange (Apollo, PA/Kiski Area) scored perhaps one of the best goals of the collegiate soccer season in the second minute of the second overtime to lift Penn State Behrend to a dramatic 1-0 victory. With the win, Penn State Behrend will advance to the Sweet Sixteen for a showdown with Calvin.
Score: Penn State Behrend 1, John Carroll 0
Records: Penn State Behrend 16-3-2, John Carroll, 14-5-2
* Penn State Behrend totaled four shots in the opening half, putting three shots on goal. The Blue Streaks attempted five total shots in the first half, putting just one on goal.
* John Carroll began to assert themselves offensively in the second half, outshooting Penn State Behrend 10-4.
* Senior goalie Chris Ralph (Murrysville, PA/Franklin Regional) made three key saves in the second half and finished the match with 6 saves.
* After battling for just over 102 minutes, Nick Schwarzel (South Park, PA/South Park) lifted a cross into the box that slipped past a pair of Blue Streak defenders and found Dakota Lange. Lange's initial touch popped the ball in the air but Lange stuck with the play and finished with a left-footed bicycle kick. It was Lange's ninth goal of the season.
* Penn State Behrend defeated John Carroll for the second time this season.
* Penn State Behrend will making its first-ever Sweet Sixteen appearance in program history. The Behrend Lions will face Calvin College later this week. More information will be provided at a later time.