ERIE, Pa. – The Penn State Behrend men's volleyball team posted their second win of the season over Mt. Union, defeating the Purple Raiders 3-1 in non-conference action on Thursday night in the Junker Center.
Score: Penn State Behrend 3, Mt. Union 1 (25-14, 25-14, 23-25, 25-23)
Records: Penn State Behrend (12-7), Mt. Union (8-19)
* The Behrend Lions held Mt. Union to single-digit kills in the first two sets to grab a quick 2-0 lead in the match
* The Lions also never trailed in the match until the third set
* There was eight ties in the fourth set with the last at 19-all
* Junior Josh Mathews (Rochester, NY/Churchville-Chili) got Behrend a three-point lead with his serves at 22-19
* The final three points of the fourth were on kills by Cody Schnur (Butler, PA/Butler), Tyler Herrmann (Cranberry Township, PA/Seneca Valley) and Dillon Hildebrand (Red Lion, PA/Red Lion)
* Herrmann and Hildebrand each registered 11 kills, while Anthony Sprentz (Cranberry Township, PA/Seneca Valley) dished out 28 assists
* Mathews knocked in four of the 10 aces on the night for the Lions. He now needs five to break the single-season record of 35
* Robert McMaster (North Huntingdon, PA/Norwin) had double-digit digs at 17
* Head coach Phil Pisano recorded his 100th career coaching victory with the men's program
* The Behrend Lions return to action on Saturday for a tri-match at Wilkes with Stevenson. Matches begin at 2 p.m.