WILKES BARRE, Pa. – The Penn State Behrend men's volleyball team split a pair of non-conference matches on Saturday, falling to No. 6 Stevenson in five sets and then defeating Wilkes 3-0 on the road.
Match One: No. 6 Stevenson 3, Penn State Behrend 2 (21-25, 25-21, 14-25, 25-22, 9-15)
Records: Penn State Behrend (12-8), No. 6 Stevenson (24-3)
* The Lions put up a good fight against their first-ranked opponent this season
* JP Goodsel (Corry, PA/Corry) led with 16 kills
* Cody Schnur (Butler, PA/Butler) hit .591, recording 14 kills on 22 attempts
* The first set was tied at 14-all, before Behrend grabbed a three-point lead at 18-15 off a Joey Reynold's (Saegertown, PA/Saegertown) ace.
* Stevenson used a 10-3 run to take the early lead in the match at 25-21
* The Lions never trailed in the second and used three kills and an attack error by Stevenson to even the match with a 25-21 victory
* Stevenson took the odd matches, including the decisive fifth set at 15-9
* Senior libero Robert McMaster (North Huntingdon, PA/Norwin) tallied 14 digs, while senior Anthony Sprentz (Cranberry Township, PA/Seneca Valley) produced 40 assists on 46 kills
Match Two: Penn State Behrend 3, Wilkes 0 (25-14, 25-17, 25-13)
Records: Penn State Behrend (13-8), Wilkes (9-13)
* The Lions held Wilkes to 20 total kills in three sets
* Behrend hit .308 in the match and tallied nine aces
* The Lions had a match-high 13 kills in the second set
* Schnur and Goodsel led in kills once again with six and five, respectively
* Sprentz added 23 assists to his 40 for a 63 total on the day
* McMaster tallied a team-best 11 digs
* Junior defensive specialist Josh Mathews (Rochester, NY/Churchville-Chili) tallied nine aces on the day, four against Stevenson and five vs. Wilkes, to break Behrend's single-season record for service aces
* The Lions return to action on Wednesday at D'Youville. Match begins at 7 p.m.